Archive | Community

My Island Home Project Announcements

MIH2 logo

My Island Home Project

Things have been very busy in the lead up to the My Island Home Project.  Kicking off in just 16 days, the My Island Home (MIH) Project will see 23 people come together from throughout the Torres Straits and Cairns to be mentored by Neil Murray, Patrick Mau aka. Mau Power, Mike Justice and Ben Hense in a songwriting and recording workshop.

Kicking off Sunday the 9th of August , the MIH Workshop participants and mentors will gather for a Blessing and feast, then Monday the 10th of August, it’s straight into the workshops at Gab Titui Cultural Centre.  On Tuesday the 11th of August, we head to Friday Island to continue our workshops and be inspired by the beauty of the Straits.  Neil Murray is keen to co-write with the participants to develop their talent and passion.  Wednesday it’s back to Gab Titui for more mentoring and to put the finishing touches on our material.  Thursday the 13th through to Wednesday the 18th, participants can record their song at the new TSIMA Studios.

On Friday the 14th of August, a FREE Community Concert at the PK Hall has been organised with some of the participants performing along with Mau Power and Neil Murray.  Should be a great night and a wonderful chance to share what we have created.

Join me in celebrating the following participants:

• Harry Lui
  • Joseph David
  • Lawrence Mosby
  • Patrick Levi
  • George Musu
  • Peter Lyons
  • Patrick Bonner
  • Sylvia Tabua
  • Patty Nakata
  • Marita Sagigi
  • Elsie Seriat
  • Bob Kaigey
  • Jared Noah
  • Jossie Lola
  • Elisha Dorante
  • Maria Passi
  • Rita Kaitap
  • Damien Fujii
  • Jessiah Mabo
  • Pele Savage
  • Katura Samson
  • Noel Repu
  • Jack Bani

We wish all participants the best with this opportunity and look forward to sharing the project with you further.

My Island Home – Place blo mepla

MyIslandHome_coverNeil Murray

patrick mau2

mike justice

Ben 4

MyIslandHome_cover

My Island Home – Place blo mepla Project

My Island Home, a song written by Neil Murray (Warumpi Band) back in the late 80’s, made famous by Christine Anu at the Sydney Olympics in 2000 and more recently covered and styled by Thursday Islands’ own Mau Power.   My Island Home is the unofficial anthem of many people from the Torres Strait and provides a focus for a songwriting, singing and recording workshop to be held on Thursday Island from the 10th – 14th of August 2015. This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its arts funding and advisory body

The people from the communities of the NPA and all Islands throughout the Torres Strait have the opportunity to apply for one of 20 spots for the weeklong workshop.  5 positions will be quarantined for Outer Island and NPA Residents only, with flights, accommodation and meal allowances provided through the Torres Strait Regional Authorities’ (TSRA) Common Funding Round for the Cultural, Arts and Heritage Program.  There will also be workshops for those interested in learning about sound recording and mixing in TSIMA’s (Torres Strait Islanders Media Association Inc.) newly installed recording studio.

Those wishing to apply simply upload a 30 second clip of themselves singing, along with some information about who you are, which community you are from and what you hope to achieve by being a part of this project. Applications must be uploaded to the My Island Home Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/myailanhome?ref=hl or email your clips and information to [email protected] to be in with a chance of being selected. Mentors for the project include: Neil Murray, Patrick Mau ‘Mau Power’, Mike Justice and Ben Hense. Other local mentors will be announced soon.

All participants completing the project will receive mentoring from our International and Nationally recognised artists, develop skills in songwriting, singing and develop knowledge of the industry. You will also have your very own original song recorded and included on the My Island Home compilation CD, which will be released on completion of the project.

We are encouraging artists to develop their own original songs, whether in your own language or English. This is your chance to be heard.

There are two was to submit your application. Either through our Facebook page or you can email your clip or audio recording to apply.

Conditions and how to Enter:

1. Click on https://www.facebook.com/myailanhome?ref=hl and like My Island Home Facebook page
  2. Ask a friend or family member to record you singing for 30 seconds only.
  3. Upload your clip to the Facebook page and include:
  • Why you want to be a part of the project
  • Community you are from
  • Your name and age

OR

1. email an audio recording or video clip and info to [email protected]
  2. You must be available to participate every day of the project 10-14th of August 2015 (9.00 am – 4.30 pm) on Thursday Island.
  3. Artists under 18 must have parent consent.
  4. Your song remains your Intellectual Property.

For more information, check out the Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/myailanhome?ref=hl

Alternatively, call Sally Johnston on 0439884988 or email her on [email protected] if you need help to upload your application.

Funding partners:

This project has been assisted by the Australian Government through the Australia Council for the Arts, its arts funding and advisory body; and the Torres Strait Regional Authority TSRA.

aca_logo_vertical_small_rgb-543230febb3ddTSRA logo

The Boys from Barambah

IMG_3788

IMG_3877IMG_3759

This year’s ANZAC week saw two unique and exciting events in the celebration and commemoration of the role of Black Diggers from one small Queensland community.

On Tuesday 21st April we launched a display of the involvement of the Cherbourg Aboriginal Settlement in the 1914-1918 World War. In those days Cherbourg was known as “Barambah”. Forty seven (47) men from the area signed-up to fight for the British Empire in far-away fields and deserts.

The Boys from Barambah is the name given to an exhibition, a book, a website, a film and a suite of educational resources on display at the Ration Shed Museum in Cherbourg. The launch was attended by ex-soldiers and community Elders who came together to remember those who served and to pass on the spirit of ANZACs to the younger generations of Indigenous and non-Indigenous children. Many other dignitaries, politicians, local RSL representatives, organisations and schools witnessed the launch of the displays.

As Eric Law, chair of the Ration Shed’s Anzac committee said, “with The Boys from Barambah we’ve tried to capture the stories of our young Aboriginal men leaving their homes for the first time, going abroad to foreign lands to fight a war for the British Empire and the Australian nation – some of whom making the ultimate sacrifice – and then returning to their difficult lives under the Aboriginal Protection Act.”

The Boys from Barambah contains many stories which are both interesting and unsettling. One such story is of a group of young men who enlisted only to find they were part of a publicity scheme to shame white men into joining the service in Brisbane. They were sent back to Barambah after a few weeks and then delisted on the grounds that they were not sufficiently “associated with white people”.

On Saturday 25th an ANZAC Day ceremony was held in the early morning in Cherbourg. This event saw two significant moments: the re-naming of the Memorial Park as the Boys from Barambah ANZAC Park and the unveiling of a new Honour board which acknowledges for the first time all the men who enlisted from the Barambah region. A significant attendance is expected from local Cherbourg and South Burnett people.

You can purchase a copy of the Boys from Barambah Book by going online to www.rationshed.com.au , go on a journey with some of the Boys from Barambah and visit www.cherbourgmemory.org , visit the Ration Shed museum.  All profits from the sale of these books goes back to the Ration Shed to continue the great work and programs held at the Cherbourg Historical Precinct.  Please show your support.

My Island Home Project

MyIslandHome_coverNeil Murraypatrick mau2

Check out the Facebook page for the upcoming My Island Home Project – pending funding mid June.

https://www.facebook.com/myailanhome

All the information you need to stay up to date about the project, who can apply, how to apply and how to get started on your 30 second clip and be in the running for one of 20 positions open to people living throughout the Torres Strait and NPA communities.

TAG a friend or family member who you think has talent.

Further announcements about the project will be made through our Facebook page.

Sunshine Coast Queensland